Welcome to Jacob Shrayman, DDS, where Dr. Jacob Shrayman and our dedicated team are grateful for our patients in Verona, New Jersey, and are pleased to help you with all of your oral health needs. With the holidays here, tooth pain is not something you want to deal with. But if you feel a sharp pain when you bite down on your food or you constantly have to chew on one side of your mouth, you may have a cracked tooth.
How a Tooth Can Crack
- If you chew on hard objects such as ice, hard candy, or hard nuts you can fracture a tooth.
- A blow to the mouth can crack a tooth.
- If tooth enamel is exposed to temperature extremes, your tooth can crack. So if you are eating hot soup, don’t be tempted to sip ice water with it.
- Your teeth can crack if you persistently grind or clench your teeth (also known as bruxism).
- To repair a cracked tooth, Dr. Jacob Shrayman will first examine the tooth to determine proper treatment. For example, if the tooth has minor cracks, bonding with a tooth-colored composite resin or dental filling may be all that will be required. However, if the damage is severe or affecting the tooth pulp, the tooth may require extraction, requiring a root canal.
If your tooth requires extraction, Dr. Jacob Shrayman will review tooth replacement options with you to restore your confident smile. At Jacob Shrayman, DDS in Verona, New Jersey, we offer high-quality, natural-looking tooth replacement options, including dental implants, dentures, and dental bridges.
If you are experiencing tooth pain, please call us at 973-239-3555 as soon as possible. While you are waiting to be seen by Dr. Jacob Shrayman, please avoid chewing on that side of your mouth. You can take acetaminophen or over-the-counter pain reliever as needed, and rinse with salt water for relief.